Your kids will enjoy helping to form the dough into shapes. They will also enjoy eating the pretzels when they come out of your oven!
What You Need
- coarse salt
- vegetable-oil spray
Before You Begin
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, and spray with vegetable-oil spray.
What You Do
- Sprinkle a package of yeast onto ¾ cup of warm water. Add a tablespoon of sugar and stir. Let stand until the mixture foams.
- Put two cups of flour and ½ teaspoon of salt into a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and stir.
- Sprinkle flour on the counter, and knead the dough until it's smooth.
- Roll pieces of dough into ropes and make fun shapes.
- Beat an egg with a fork.
- Brush pretzels with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar, sesame seeds, or other toppings.
- Drizzle baked pretzels with a mixture of confectioners' sugar and water to add a sweet glaze.
- Use 1 cup of white flour and 1 cup of whole-wheat flour.